My Sister Visits Me In Pensacola

These past nine days have been such a beautiful, busy distraction. I have been on a small break from classes, and my sweet sister came to visit me before she heads off to study abroad. I am so glad that she was able to come and be with me during my break. Brittney was able to meet a few of my friends, see where I work, walk around campus, visit the beach, and see what Pensacola has to offer.

Brittney arrived on August 15th, and once I saw her, I ran to her. I was so happy to see my sister that I actually started crying. It was such a wonderful day. 
We went around Pensacola the next day, and paid a visit to Marble Slab Creamery. I have been meaning to go to Marble Slab, but I just haven't gotten around to it. With Brittney visiting, I had an excuse to visit some places that I wouldn't normally go to by myself. Marble Slab Creamery offers house-made ice cream, and it is the creamiest ice cream that I have ever tasted. They also offer mix-ins, which is what Brittney ordered. They mix it on a marble slab, and it makes it slightly melty, and the perfect ice cream texture. 
Thursday was a particularly special day. Brittney and I visited Fairhope, Alabama. We indulged in delicious treats at a darling bakery called Warehouse Bakery and Donuts. I am definitely coming back to Warehouse. They have far more than just donuts and sweets. They have a full menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Five minutes away from the bakery is downtown Fairhope. We didn't have a lot of time to walk around, but the area that we did get to walk around was just darling. We walked down a historic neighborhood street (right outside the downtown area), and Brittney and I loved the style of the old, Southern homes.
Thursday was special because we visited an adorable town, but also because we were able to get together with John. I am so glad that they finally met! It is wonderful that he is starting to meet some of my family members, and that my family is starting to meet him. 

Not only did Brittney meet John, but on Friday, we had dinner with a coworker and friend. I had to work all day on Friday, unfortunately, so I left Brittney with my car. She had the chance to drive around and adventure around Pensacola by herself. I am glad she had the chance to do that.  

Saturday was another special day. Brittney and I spent the whole day with John, beginning with brunch at The Egg and I. Back in January when my family helped me move here, we had brunch at The Egg and I, and loved it! Brittney wanted to visit it again while she was here, and I thought it would be fun to go with John too. We spent the rest of the day at Pensacola Beach. 
Saturday was such a warm, beautiful day. We were able to swim in the ocean, which is something Oregon girls don't have the chance to do very often. Even after we got back from the beach, all three of us made some wonderful macaroni and cheese at my apartment. 

Sunday was another day I had to work, but luckily it wasn't all day. After work, Brittney and I went downtown to browse around. Unfortunately, most shops close at 5:00pm or before, so most shops were closed. Downtown Pensacola isn't too exciting, unless there is an event going on. Maybe Brittney will find her way back here during an event. 

Monday was the Solar Eclipse, so we spent most of the day checking the sun. My mom sent with Brittney those special solar eclipse glasses, so we would walk outside every 15 to 20 minutes and stare at the sun through the foil glasses. It was kind of neat to experience history. Later that day, we picked up another one of my friends from the airport, and we all had dinner at Cactus Cantina in Pensacola. 

Tuesday, we woke up somewhat early and made our way to Gulf Breeze ready to go to the beach one last time before Brittney had to go home the next day. Our first stop was Dunkin' Donuts for some breakfast. We kept seeing the clouds move in, and as we were walking back to the car, it started to sprinkle. We decided to wait it out back at my apartment, and luckily the rain let up enough for us to go to the beach.
The slightly stormy day made for perfect beach weather. As we were relaxing on the beach, we saw a few lightning bolts off into the distance. I didn't know whether to just sit back and relax, or pack up and leave. I didn't see anymore than three lightning bolts, so we were safe. It was about 84 degrees on Tuesday, which wasn't too hot, not too humid, and with the cloud cover, we didn't get burnt.
Wednesday was the day that Brittney was going back home. We woke up somewhat early and went to Target and made breakfast together. We made one last stop at Dunkin' Donuts (as they have disappeared in Portland), and I took her to my favorite coffee shop. 
It was sad saying goodbye to her, but she is about to embark on her own adventure. She is about to travel and study abroad in Sweden! I am so excited for her, and while it was sad, it was exciting because the next time that I see her will be in Sweden! My family has a trip planned in April to visit my sister, and it will be my first time out of the country. 
I am so proud of this girl, and so excited to see all of her adventures. It was such a fun time having her here in Pensacola with me for a few days. It was so special that she had the chance to meet John and a few of my other friends, and see the places that I frequent. I haven't been back to the beach since my family helped move me here in January (when it was Winter and 36 degrees), so it was fun to return with Brittney (when it is Summer, and warm). I am so proud of this girl, and I am so glad that her dreams are coming together. 
Thanks for visiting me, Brittney! I love and miss you very much! I will see you in April, girlfriend!


Post a Comment